Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Celebrations

14 Dec.
I got my hair and chops growing out nicely, as you may notice, but then I got a call from Leo to do a jeans add. The same day I got invited to Leoncia and Leonarda's graduation. Weird, three calls from people nicknamed Leo, which means Lion. But one of them had me sheered and shaved, which is ok I guess; I looked more presentable for the graduation ceremonies, etc.
There have been a lot of graduation parties lately. It's kind of funny, all my friends are getting married and getting invited to weddings. I'm getting invited to high school and preschool graduations. I don't mind, though, but the graduation ceremonies are painful, much worse than wedding ceremonies. But the dancing at the graduation parties is awesome. Everyone dances in lines, facing each other. Plenty of room for the HS (wink to anyone grown up in American Christian culture). It was really fun to teach all these super hip swiveling Latinas the sprinkler, the skank, the MC Hammer, and of course, the worm. One of the cool things they do here for any celebration is anoint each other with confetti. They grab a handful of paper confetti, walk over to you, cover your head in white flakes and say, "Que sea una buena hora," which means "May it be a happy moment." That's why it looks like everyone has dandruff. I like it, it feels very festive and meaningful. I also got invited to a baptism of some friends from Villa Amistad with my goddaughter's family. It pretty cool my goddaughter has a family. That's all for now. I've gotta take a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment